Social and hUman ceNtered XR
- Funded by: European Commission
- Project Acronym: SUN
- Funded under: HORIZON-CL4-2022-HUMAN-01-14
- Budget: 469375 € (Overall: 7961242.5 €)
- Start Date: 1st November 2022
- Duration: 36 months
- Website(s): www
The Social and hUman ceNtered XR (SUN) project aims at investigating and developing extended reality (XR) solutions that integrate the physical and the virtual world in a convincing way, from a human and social perspective. The virtual world will be a means to augment the physical world with new opportunities for social and human interaction.
We will address the following limitations:
- Lack of solutions to develop scalable and cost-effective new XR applications;
- Lack of convincing solutions for mixing of the virtual and physical environment;
- Lack of plausible and convincing human interaction interfaces in XR;
- Barriers due to resource limitations of end-user devices;
We will develop solutions to surpass current limitations, including:
- Development of scalable solutions to obtain plausible and convincing virtual copies of physical objects and environments;
- Development of solutions for a seamless and convincing interaction between the physical and the virtual world;
- Development of wearable sensors and haptic interfaces for convincing and natural interaction with the virtual environment;
- Development of artificial intelligence-based solutions to address current computing, memory, and network limitations of wearable devices;
The developed solution will be demonstrated in three real-life scenarios:
- XR for rehabilitation after accidents or diseases.
- XR in the industry to increase safety and improve social interaction among workers.
- XR to remove interaction barriers for persons with disabilities.